Wednesday, January 16, 2008

חבל על הזמן

It's hard to believe that Parent month is over, and you have no idea how much those guys will be missed. Before they came, we thought that the 21 days would last forever, but they were gone in a blink, and with them went a seemingly endless parade of meat meals. I realized this morning that, by lunchtime, I would have gone 48 hours without eating meat, and I nearly broke down in tears. But then I realized that there is a shwarma place on campus, and so I dried my eyes. I justified this lunch when Rina told me that she would be having a party at Matan and eating dinner at Pardes; why should she have such a gastronomically pleasing day while I suffered with sandwiches and fruit? Never!

The place was fantastic. Maybe it was because I was the only customer (why didn't anyone else want shwarma at 10:45 in the morning?), but this was the most packed laffa I've ever received, and most of it was meat (of which they had two choices!). Also, instead of the thicker, more pizza-like laffas found at most places, here they used a wrap, maximizing stuffing and minimizing bread. The server was very kind, and only smiled an understanding smile when I came up - repeatedly - for salads, instead of shooing me away with a frightening Israeli stare-down or shouting match. Lastly, the eating and serving areas were disturbingly clean, but the product still tasted delicious (contrary to my previous understanding of shwarma stands, where there seems to be a direct link between dirt and deliciousness). The only drawbacks were the absence of eggplant (although, as I stated, it was before 11 a.m. so they probably weren't fully prepared yet) and the price (7 shekels more than Melech HaFelafel and its neighbour). Still, if for some reason you are making the trip up to Mount Scopus this is well worth a visit.

No comments: