Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Yom Kippur

For Yom Kippur we went to Midreshet Harova in the Old City (where Rina studied 7 years ago). When I studied there we had Yom Kippur in the midrasha. One of the rabbis led it and they imported 9 other guys. Surprisingly, it was the best Yom Kippur davening I had ever participated in. So, when I got an e-mail saying that bogrot were invited I managed to convince Jon that he wanted to spend 25 hours with 150 girls and 9 other guys! Apparently, Yom Kippur at the midrasha has turned into something a little more fancy than I had experienced 7 years previously. They rented out the Hakotel auditorium, had each rabbi lead a different service, and in the end there were 20 guys instead of 10. The experience was amazing. Davening went from 6:45am until about 6:30pm with no more than a 10 minute break. It sounds kind of crazy, but you definitely didn't feel like you were in the same chair for almost 12 hours. Even though everything about it was great, I think I prefer the old 'low key' style where everyone was stuffed into the beit midrash; it was more authentic.
On another note, it was fun seeing people from my year. It's crazy how it feels like no time has passed since I was last there, yet when I look at the girls who are there now, they seem so little (side comment.. one of my campers from 8 years ago is learning at Harova this year and she recognized me. It was exciting).

No comments: