Wednesday, November 7, 2007

The Search Continues

I recently realized that I have been remiss in my search for shwarma. It is just that Melech HaFalafel seems so perfect - cheap, delicious, and close. But for three days Rina is on a retreat with Pardes, making this the perfect opportunity* to continue my research. I was given added incentive when a fitness fanatic instructed me to "work out and eat shwarma", and who am I to argue?

Today's stop was another shop near Ben Yehuda, called "Al HaEsh". The restaurant caught my eye with its proclamation of a 17 shekel shwarma, and drew me in with what appeared to be a clean establishment, replete with tables and chairs. I placed my order, and the man behind the counter asked me what I wanted in my wrap, to which I responded "everything." Apparently at this store "everything" includes only a fraction of the items behind the counter. There was no eggplant or charif inserted, and only a minimal amount of the mainstays (french fries, salad, meat, and chumus). Luckily, there was an expansive salad bar from which to supplement the disappointing wrap I was handed. I (more than once) added zucchini, beets, carrots, cucumbers, and an interesting zatar spread. They also had what I assumed to be free toasted pita pieces, which I made sure to load up on. Even with all of the additional salads, however, I couldn't get past the absence of the necessary oils and juices from the eggplant, fries, and meat. All the spicy carrots in the world can't make up for that amazing combination flavours. Oh well. For now it looks like Melech HaFalafel remains...er... the king of falafel.

*Perfect opportunity = Rina doesn't know I am spending more money on shwarma unless YOU tell her, the meal costs half as much, and I am tremendously jealous of the meat-heavy meals that she is being served in a "Bedouin tent".

No comments: