Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Yeah, I'm on my way...

We started off in Pearson Airport, Rina's parents waiting for her at a nearby hotel (I assume that it wasn't as seedy as it sounds), with plenty of time to get through security and onto the plane. We did all of the obligatory romantic goodbyes, such as giving out letters to be read on the plane and asking strangers to take our picture. Then it was off through security, where they scratched up our new laptop in their thorough search for secret terrorist plots against Hungarian airlines, and to the gate, where I waited for and extra hour before the plane was ready for take-off. At midnight, I was finally allowed to board.

The plane ride was great. Apparently they wanted us to have an authentic Eastern Europe experience, so their was no in-flight entertainment except for carts of free liquor and 1980s graphics of a plane blinking across a map with a dotted line coming out of its butt. The time-zone on the plane was also already set for some other country, so they served us dinner at 1 a.m. (following our snack of wheat cakes fried in pork fat, of course), and brunch five hours later. And then the booze-mobile came by again. And again. The most entertaining part of the trip was watching the stewardess who looked like Rina's grandmother (in both coiffure and pant-suit) parade up and down the narrow aisles in high heeled shoes, pork-fries and whiskey in tow.

I'm not really certain how to divide up the days, so I'll just leave this as day one, and my landing in Budapest as day two.

No comments: